Normally Fall Admission Date is in August, and Spring Admission Date is in January.
* Application deadline for 2022 FALL Admission is closed
* Applications for 2023-2024 have been opened
The minimum requirements for students of different streams are summarized below.
For the PhD Programme, applicants should have:
1. A Master's degree from a recognized university, normally with honors not lower than Second Class. or
2. A Master's degree from a recognized university, normally achieving an average grade not lower than "B". or
3. Graduated from recognized university and obtained a Bachelor's degree, normally with honors not lower than Second Class. or
4. Graduated from recognized university and obtained a Bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade not lower than "B". or
5. Completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
For the MPhil Programme, applicants should have：
1. graduated from a recognized university and obtained a Bachelor's degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class. or
2. graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a Bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than "B" . or
3. completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
All students should fulfill the English Language Proficiency Requirement prescribed below before they are admitted:
a. have a degree from a university in Hong Kong or an English speaking country; or
b. submit one of the following original score reports/certificates for assessment by the programmes concerned:
TOEFL (normally not lower than 550 Paper-based; and 79 internet-based);
IELTS (Academic) (normally not lower than Band 6.5); or
c. possess a pass grade in English in one of the following examinations:
Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination. (AS Level);
Hong Kong Higher Level Exam
d. achieve Level 4 or above in the English Language subject of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination; or
e. have obtained a recognized professional qualification awarded in Hong Kong or an English speaking country.
For both PhD and MPhil Programme, there may be an interview administered by the Programme.
The tuition for both MPhil and PhD students is RMB115,000 per year.
In the 2022-2023 academic year, CUHK (SZ) may offer various kinds of financial supports to selected applicants:
which will offer: (i) an after-tax stipend of RMB 180,000 per year to cover the normative study period, subject to annual review by the Graduate Panel or equivalent body. The student is required to work as a TA for a total of four semesters (summer counts as one semester) during the scholarship period.(ii). In addition, the student is eligible to receive a tuition subsidy, like any other student.
School of Science and Engineering will also provide the following Financial Assistance (Studentship):
Full-tuition scholarship (RMB 115,000 a year).
TA pay of RMB 64,000 a year, based on the student holding 4 TA loads in each academic year.
The Supervisor may offer a monthly RA pay agreed with the student.
Half-tuition scholarship (RMB 57,500 a year).
TA pay of RMB 32,000 a year, based on the student holding 2 TA loads in each academic year.
The Supervisor may offer the balance half-tuition (RMB 57,500 a year) in the form of monthly installments and a monthly RA pay agreed with the student.
One-quarter-tuition scholarship (RMB 28,750 a year).
TA pay of RMB16,000 a year, based on the student holding one TA load in each academic year.
The Supervisor may offer the balance three-quarter-tuition (RMB 86,250 a year) in the form of monthly installments and a monthly RA pay agreed with the student.
Students will pay full tuition.
There is no TA load commitment for the student.
Each fellowship and studentship will be offered subject to annual review. Fellowships and studentships are available to all applicants. The selection is based on merit and no separate application is required.
1. It is suggested to contact the intended supervisor in advance. Please check more details for Faculty.
Please indicate at the application system if they are co-supervisors, eg. " Prof. Huang, Co-supervisor Prof. Li".
2. Online application:
Please go to https://pgapply.cuhk.edu.cn/
Documents required include:
a. Scans of certificates of academic/professional qualifications (e.g., university certificate of graduation, examination certificates and other qualifications).
b. Scans of official transcripts (with a complete record of courses attended and examination results), grade ranking and grading scheme of all tertiary level studies;
c. Confidential recommendations (for all applicants) from two referees (except intended supervisor). Input two referees’ information through the “Online System for Applicants of Postgraduate Programmes”, Invitation for confidential recommendations will be sent to the referees automatically.
d. Applicants are required to fulfill the English Language Requirements for Admissions by submitting any one of the following documents:
i. Certified true scans* of report of the English Language subject of Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (AS Level), or Hong Kong Higher Level Examination, or Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination, or CUHK Matriculation Examination; or
ii. Certification of Results of the English Language subject in Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (AS Level), or Hong Kong Higher Level Examination, or Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination provided by Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority, or CUHK Matriculation Examination; or
iii. Copy of graduation certificate issued by a university in Hong Kong, or A certifying letter issued by the Registry of your university confirming the medium of instruction of your completed degree programme was English; or
iv. Scans of original valid official score report of TOEFL (the University’s institution code is B429), or IELTS (Academic), or GMAT (the University’s institution code is N8N). Please be reminded that some test organizations do not accept application for score report after a specified validity period.
v. certified true scan* of certificate of a recognized professional qualification awarded in Hong Kong or in an English speaking country. Different programmes may accept different professional qualifications, please contact respective Graduate Panels for details.
* The certified true scan must be issued by the official organization or relevant test organization. The University may require applicants to provide the original documents for verification.
e. A scan copy of your ID card or other identity document as given in the Application Form.
f. English resume and personal statement.
g. Additional information or documentary proof if deemed necessary.
3. Pay a non-refundable application fee of RMB 300.
Please note that all original documents will be checked at the time of enrollment. Any misrepresentation in the documents and information provided will result in disqualification of their applications and subsequent enrollments in the University.